Saturday, April 11, 2009

Priyanka Chopra with Nielson Box Office award

Priyanka Chopra with Nielson Box Office awardIt’s being raining awards for you,What’s the significance of the latest addition to your tally - The Nielsen Box-Office Award?
Thank you! I am glad and there’s more to come hopefully. The Nielsen Box-Office Award is my first international award after Miss World and it’s for my film work. In such a short span, I get an award categorised as Outstanding Achievement in the field of Indian cinema, it means a lot to me because it includes the film fraternities of all the Eastern countries. I am grateful that I was picked out .
Didn’t you make a long acceptance speech there?
It was so difficult because I had to thank so many people for helping me get this award. It was dedicated to all the producers and directors who showed faith in me. I thanked the Indian film fraternity.

Priyanka, let’s go back to the very beginning. Can you recall your earliest award?
I was four years old, I performed a Kathak piece and I won. This was in Lucknow. I remember going on the stage and not knowing what to do or say (guffaws).

Have you always been competitive?
Yes I am very competitive. I compete with everyone and with myself. I like to improve with every film and that’s very important for me. Each film has to be better than the last one. I think I am most competitive with myself. Be it a film or a frame, I like to give the best of my ability.

How tough is the competition for you today?
Whether it is today, yesterday or earlier - the competition was always tough. If it weren’t tough, you would become complacent. So even if the competition isn’t tough, you have to think it is tough.

Which is your next most coveted award - the National Award?
Probably! In India, that’s the most coveted award and it’s one award I haven’t received. Hopefully in the future sometime I might.

Is there also a sneaking itch to grab the Oscars too?
There’s always an itch like that in an actor. Every trophy means the most to me and I can’t say if my gratitude and excitement will be less or more with an Oscar, Screen or National Award. Each one would mean that much to me but a global honour means competing with the world - and that would be exciting.

You have always been a Screen favourite, from the Most Promising Newcomer (Andaaz), Best Role in a Negative Role (Aitraaz) and now the Best Actor (Female) for Fashion.
My first debut award, my first-ever award and my first performance have all been for Screen. Screen also gave me the first award for Fashion, which validated my performance that was so scary to do and unconventional too. The season’s first award for such a role from Screen only made me feel great and made me comfortable for the days ahead.

Would Kaminay be your next release? What are you taking home from the film, apart from Marathi?
I have done something different with Kaminay - I play a Maharashtrian girl in it and I have also learnt Marathi for it. Hopefully it will be as accepted as other films. More than taking away something, I give away a lot to my films. A part of my soul goes away with each film and by the time I retire I hope to be soulless (Laughs).

But seriously, with Kaminay I have taken away a lot from Vishal Bhardwaj, my director- a great learning experience from him about being an actor and defining the character. He is one of the brilliant directors in the country and also the best human being. I have a great working relationship with him.
A lot is being spoken about your on- and-off-screen chemistry with your co-star, Shahid Kapoor. Comment.
It’s been great working with Shahid. He’s one of the most talented actors in today’s generation. It was fabulous working with him.

Do you believe in astrology? Ashutosh Gowariker is a passionate maker. What was that one lesson you learnt during the making of What’s Your Rashee?
I am not that superstitious really, but after working in What’s Your Rashee? I have become more aware about horoscope and astrology. What working with Ashu-sir has taught me is how one can completely give oneself up to a director, when Ashu-sir is there I don’t have to worry about anything - my character, the way I look or the film have wholeheartedly submitted myself to him - I trust and believe in him that much.

I have another month to shoot for Rashee?.
What’s the update on Don 2?
I am not sure about it right now because that’s something that’s a little far away right now. But whenever it happens, it will be something very exciting from whatever Mr Khan has discussed with me. It will be a fabulous comeback.

What about YRF’s Jugal Hansraj- directed Pyaar Impossible co-starring Uday Chopra?
I am very excited about it. It is a very sweet story and a fabulous romcom that I shall be shooting for soon after Rashee. We will shoot in Singapore, Bangkok and India. Screen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...